1. Choose your desired residency.
2. Obtain an ERAS from the Electronic Residency Application System (www.aamc.org/eras).
3. Send your ERAS application to ECFMG.
4. Register with the National Residency Matching Program as an independent application (www.aamc.org/nrmp).
5. Check status of ERAS submission by viewing the Automated Document Tracking Systems (ADTS).
6. Contact hospitals that have received your ERAS application, and inquire about interviews.
7. Attend your interviews and rank your most desired programs. Be sure to inquire at your residency interviews if the hospital is willing to sponsor your for H-1B visa.
8. Submit your rank order to the National Residency Matching Program (www.aamc.org/nrmp).
9. Contact MDgreencard.com to inquire about your visa options, and consider obtaining licensing application materials for the states you will likely match with.
10. Sign your residency contract, and initiate the licensing procedure for the state in which you matched. Please note that not all states require medical licenses for residents.
11. Immediately initiate immigration processes to obtain the necessary visa (J or H).