Go to home page...
Google Groups
Go to home page... Go to home page...
Additional Topics > Changing employer during 3 year J1 waiver waiver period


  1. It is possible to change employers during the 3 year J1 visa waiver period, so long as the following may need to be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the US Immigration Service:

    1. Extenuating circumstances based on hardship exist

    2. The hardship was beyond the physicians control and unforeseen

    3. The physician was able to obtain a new employment contract for employment in another underserved area for the duration of the 3 year work obligation

    4. The State Health Department has concurred on the physician's request to change employers

  2. The US Immigration Service decides these requests to change jobs on a case-by-case basis. We have found that the following situations have allowed our clients to obtain approval for changing waiver jobs:

      • Closure of the medical facility

      • Breach of contract by employer

      • Spouse of physician forced to move out of state for residency/fellowship training

      • Urgent health / personal issues




MDgreencard.com is the official physician and scientist immigration web site of the:

Sherman Immigration Lawyers, P.C.
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 252133
West Bloomfield, Michigan 48325

Phone: (248) 851-7575
E-mail Us at: info@mdgreencard.com
Street Address (for courier deliveries only)
26111 W. 14 Mile Road
Suite 104
Franklin, Michigan 48025

Copyright © mdgreencard.com. All rights reserved. This site best viewed at 1024 x 768 resolution. Designed and maintained by C2G Media Group, LLC